I’m part of a morris team (Theale Tattoo) that contains people with various dietary requirments, one of our members is Gluten Free, so I’ve been learning how to convert my favourite recipes so she can eat them. Baking with Gluten Free alternatives is interesting and takes some trial and error. This cake is inspired by the Hairy Bikers recipe in their Mum Knows Best book. This lushious lemon drizzle cake has been converted to a gluten-free version.
I’ve found lots of fabulous information about a Gluten Free diet at this fabulous website -> https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/
- 2 small unwaxed lemons
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 200 g self-raising gluten free flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 1 small lemon – juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gass 4.
- Line a 2lb (900g) loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Wash and finely grate the two lemons.
- Put the sugar, butter, flour, baking powder, eggs and lemon zest into the food processor.
- Blend it on the pulse setting until just combined.
- Spoon into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until well risen & a squer comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
For the topping
- Mix 3 tablespoons of lemon juice with 100g of granulated sugar.
- With a thin skewer make loads of holes in the top of the cake.
- With a spoon carefully pour the sugar mixture on top of the cake and leave to set.