My favourite recipe to make as it is my mum’s favourite cake.
Coffee & Walnut
Coffee & Walnut
a fabulously moist sponge flavoured with instant coffee and ground walnuts. The orginal recipe is from "the Hairy Bikers' best loved recipes - mum still knows best" but with a couple of tweaks from me based on what ingedients we have in the cupboards.
Servings 12 people
- electric mixer with pulse setting (or a strong arm)
- 2 x lined 20cm loose-based sandwich tins
- 65 g walnuts pieces blitzed in a food processor (or finely chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 1 measure room temperature butter
- 1 measure caster sugar
- 1 measure self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tblsp instant coffee mixed into a liquid with 2 tblsp boiling water
- 150 g softned butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 4 tsp instant coffee mixed into a liquid with 2 tblsp boiling water
- 12 walnut halves
- Grease two 20cm loose-based sandwich tins & line the base with baking parchment.
- Blitz the walnuts in a food processor into fine crumbs.
- Weight the Eggs - this is the "measure" that is refered to in the ingedients list.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking pawder & coffee misture into a food processor.
- Blend on the pulse setting until just combined.
- Add the blitzed walnuts & gently mix in.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins.
- Smooth the mixture - making the middle of the mixture lower then the sides.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove when a skewer comes out of the cakes clear.
- Remove from teh over and leave inthe tins to cool for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
For the icing
- Put the butter, icing sugar & coffee mixture into a mixing bowl
- Blend until smooth.
Putting it together
- Place the bottom cake on a plate. Use the flattest of the two.
- Smooth half the icing over the centre of the cake.
- Place the second cake on.
- Use the remaining icing on the top.
- Decorate the cake with the walnut halves - remember you need to cut the cake and walnuts are tough!!!